Sunday 18 September 2011

Module Five - Chapter Five - Stitching Colours

A further example to satisfy City & Guilds


'Tonal value painting tints and shades'

I loved stitching these samples although this final image is of my painted colour wheel with the primary, secondary and tertiary colours. I used acrylic paint and I don't like the effect much. If I have time I'll probably do another one in water colour. Anyway here is that image.


Tonal Value with Threads
I loved doing this it gave me such pleasure.   Creating shade by using black with primary and secondary colours and creating tint by using white with the primary and secondary colours.  I used siz zag stitch as before, calico on calico.


Mixing Colours with Threads
Circle template made as before.  Using 2 threads in needle for each section of colour.  Fabric as before, calico on calico. Stitch length, width as before and zig-zag stitch chosen.  Method as before.  Primary colours of red, blue and yellow stitched first.  Secondary colours, created by using red + blue = purple, blue+yellow = green, yellow + red = orange.

My embroidery hoop was not large enough so the red and purple section did not complete as the hoop mechanism got in the way.

Stitching Colours - Formal Exercise

Created template, then stitched using a wide zig-zag stitch and short length.  Fabric used is calico with same as stabiliser.  Needle size 100.  Completed circle as directed and each section was stitched one alternate side at a time.  Primary colours are blue, red and yellow.  Secondary colours are purple, green and orange.  Love stitching this.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been busy with all these samples :) I really enjoyed working on the colour wheel chapter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Jane have been trying to post comments, without success, hopefully this one will work! your colour wheels look great; must admit I didn't really enjoy that exercise so much, but could see the purpose!
    cheers
    glen
    glensbirdonawire.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete